Projects‎ > ‎Cemeteries‎ > ‎

Denham (?)



Calvary Cemetery

Cemetery = Calvary Cemetery
Vicinity = Newport S
Status = not located
Community = white
Synonymous name(s) = Denham Cemetery(?)
GPS Location
S-T-R Location
Directions
not located - see report
not located - see report
not located - see report

The 1940-41 veterans' graves registration gives locating directions:

From end of paved road in Newport, proceed for one block south to dirt road going 300 yards. Then turn left (south) on obscure dirt road going 7/10 mile to cemetery on west.

The location about 7/10 mile south of Newport, on the west side of the St. Marks River, indicated by the veterans' grave registration is one suggesting the possibility that the site is identifiable also with the Newport Cemetery (which may have been known also as Denham Cemetery.) The complex of reported sites is treated more fully in a site report for Newport Cemetery. The 1940-41 project found no graves of veterans in Calvary cemetery. The section-township-range location datum in the 1940-41 record may be thoroughly erroneous, since the township given is far from Newport and thus starkly contradictory of the narrative directions given in the same record. However, the section number given, 35, might be plausible if the township were taken as 3S, 1E, instead.


Date of site report narrative - December 2001

Comments! Questions! Corrections! Email Us at mailbox@wakullahistory.org