St. Marks (W)
SW¼ Sec 2, 4S, 1E
Ward St. at Fire Escape Rd.
The inscribed gravestone of James Williamson (d.1886) found in the two-block-long, present-day St. Marks Cemetery identifies that site with the St. Marks white cemetery recorded in the 1940-41 veterans' grave registration. That document so designated the place of the Williamson grave, but gave locating directions not clearly indicating the site of the present-day cemetery. (This cemetery and a St. Marks "Colored" Cemetery of the 1940-41 record evidently appear today as a single cemetery; they are reported as two here in order to clearly dispose of both entries in that record.)
Date of site report narrative - January 2002
Surveyed by members of the WCHS, July 2006
Some information taken from Register of Deceased Veterans 1940-41
Comments! Questions! Corrections! Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org